Thursday, July 30, 2009

Can you recommend books about the pros and cons of canada versus united states?

I'm interested in the arguments of what makes either country so great or so bad. I did find a few book titles, but if I could get some recommendations that'd be great. I basically want to be able to debate from any stand point, as to why Canada is better or vice-versa and why the other is so bad comparably. I found about 20 titles of books that had to do with the topic, some of which took a comedic stance. I want to compare them politically and from all ends.

Can you recommend books about the pros and cons of canada versus united states?
I don't know of a single one, I do know, however, that I've lived in both places for a considerable amount of time and that was a terrific experience. In a lot of ways they aren't all that different. The food, clothes, music, t.v. movies, churches, language, etc. are all the same. But there is a difference in attitude and climate, at least for me. In Canada it was a lot colder and a lot wetter. I found out why British Columbia is so green during the summer, it's because it rains all winter. I wasn't used to it. It rained, where I was, over 100 inches in the year I spent in college there. In addition, the are pretty separatist. They want every ting American but they sure don't want to be American, although they can't really explain why, other than they had a bad experience with a tourist. It's not nearly as crowded there. Canada is larger than the entire USA in sq. miles, but has a population smaller than that of California. It's different there, but also the same.
Reply:You have an interesting topic there.





Canadians tend to be much more community minded than Yanks. In the states, individualism rules and collectivity (except in corporations) is not favored.





Where the Declaration of Independance calls for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the Canadian Order of Confederation calls for peace, order, and good government.





Canada's aim to foster and maintain peace is in sharp contrast to the USA's policies and actions.





I don't know of any serious books on the subject. If you're serious about the research, this might make a great book.


No comments:

Post a Comment